Weather in Northwest Orange County for Sunday, April 24, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Wind light variable becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could blow up to 25 mph.
Fairly clear, with a low around 58. Wind west 10 to 15 mph becoming light and choppy in the evening. Winds could blow up to 25 mph. /strong>
The highs are expected to rise, peaking in the upper 80s on Monday before falling back to the mid 70s mid-week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1800 The Library of Congress is based in Washington, DC with a stipend of $5,000.
- 1805 US Marines attack and capture the city of Derna in Tripoli from the Barbary Pirates.
- 1833 A patent is granted for the first soda fountain.
- 1898 Spain declares war on the United States, rejecting an ultimatum to withdraw from Cuba.
- 1905 Birth of Robert Penn Warren, novelist, first American poet laureate.
- 1944 The first B-29 arrives in China, over the hump of the Himalayas.
- 1948 The Berlin Airlift begins to relieve the encircled city.
- 1961 President John Kennedy accepts “sole responsibility” for Cuba’s failed Bay of Pigs invasion.
- 1968 Leftist students take over Columbia University to protest the Vietnam War.
- 1980 An attempt to rescue American hostages held in Iran fails when a plane collides with a helicopter in the Iranian desert.
- nineteen eighty one The IBM personal computer is introduced.